I was just thinking today about how much I appreciate being adopted and how much I love my Dad. He has taught me so much, and I thought I would share his "Dad-isms" here and how much they have meant to me. They were not HIS quotes, but he often quoted them, and many times, I learned AND been comforted by his words.
1) Better to be thought a FOOL, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
2) Fools names and fools faces are often seen in public places.
3) Never tell a Cornishman a joke on Friday, because he'll be laughing in church on Sunday.
4) "You're bored? Go move that pile of rocks over there!" "You're still bored? Move it back!"
5) Any job worth doing is worth doing right.
6) If someone says something unkind to you, examine it. If it's true, change yourself. If it's not true, continue to live your life so no one would believe it could be possibly true. The truth will out.
7) Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you.
8) Don't underestimate yourself, ever. Even if others do.
9) There's always someone else in worse shape, so be a helper.
10) You don't have to know how to swim before you swim. My dad threw me into the pool at age 12 and just yelled for me at the sidelines and said "You're strong, you can do it, HEAD DOWN and kick and FIGHT". Not everyone agrees with this approach and that's totally okay, but I didn't take instruction well, but my Dad knew me, really really new me and he knew that if he was my cheerleader and I learned to fight through it, I would be successful and that's meant the world to me. When my parents divorced, he could have ditched us, as I was not his birth child, but he CHOSE to stay and CHOSE every day to LOVE. For that, I'm so appreciative. I love you Dad! Your words have comforted me through the cancer. I didn't think I could "swim" through this one, but Dad, I'm kicking and fighting and I'm doing it! :)
3 comments:
I love this ode to your dad! I especially love #8! Your dad sounds like an amazing man. Now we know where you get it from!!!
<3 The Colvins
What a great post! Fun to read your blog! You are so amazing! love you!
This is going to bring to your Dad eyes.....thank you for this beautiful tribute to him....he truly is a wonderful example of a human being!
We love you sooooooo much,
"Mom"
Post a Comment