Tuesday, February 23, 2010

OUR FAMILY RULES

OUR FAMILY RULES

1. We respect ourselves.
2. We respect our parents and others.
3. We respect property.
4. We do not manipulate.
5. We supervise ourselves and clean up our own messes.
6. We follow directions.
7. We are always honest.
8. We ask permission before doing things.
9. We do our jobs.
10. We have good dress and grooming habits.
11. We have a good attitude.
12. We go to bed happily and on time

Instructions: If a child breaks a rule, they go to time out for 1 minute for every year they are old. 3 years = 3 minutes in time out. Sadly, most children will break several rules, so add it up, but make sure you're calm. The area of time out needs to have the rules posted in front of them, even if they can't read. Once they serve their time out, the following Parent Script should be followed for optimal results.

Parent: "What rule did you break?" Child Answers (example) "We respect property"
Parent: "How did you break it?" Child Answers (exmaple) "I broke Spencer's toy firetruck"
Parent: "How will you not break this rule next time?" Child Answers (example) "I will walk away when I'm mad"
Parent: " That is good!"
Parent: "Do you know why we have these Family Rules?" Child Answers (example) "I don't know" (or have them repeat after you.. the following statement)
Parent: "...because we love you and want you to be happy" Child Answers (example) "Because you love me and want me to be happy.."
Parent: "That's right" (then you MUST hug that child).

Parent: (if Christian/LDS) "Heavenly Father also has rules because he loves us and wants us to be happy, that's why we have rules too." :) extra hug.

NOTE: Breaking rule #7 is always a DOUBLE TIME OUT <--that is manditory.
Time outs help parents and children to calm down.

I cleared out my downstairs bathroom of anything that could harm/hurt a child. Remove all cleansers and medications, etc. Sit the child on a closed toilet seat. Post the rules so that if they are sitting on the toilet, they can see the rules clearly. Make sure you have a family meeting ahead of time to explain clearly the rules to the kids.Give them a treat if they remember each one, in the family meeting. Even if they can't read, they will be happy to learn these rules for a small treat. If they can't remember which rule they broke, remind them, then ask them to repeat it before moving on with the script. Note: Number 4 is the only one with the word "not" that appears negative. Every other rule is stated positively. #4 is important stated that way because it is the one that hurts them and others as they grow up, and it's UNACCEPTABLE.

I'm reposting this, because I don't remember who asked this from me who had little kids..... My missionary also asked me for this.

Another good set of family rules comes from: http://www.passportacademy.com/2008/09/our-family-rules.html

3 comments:

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

Linda, I am going to send this to my nieces. Thank you for putting this up on your blog. Hugs! Susan

Terri Griffith said...

that is great I will have to use this when Nathan is old enough to break the rules! thanks!

Linda said...

I'm commenting on my own blog - funny. Anyway, I just want you all to know that we all need to work on these rules at any stage of our life. I'm also working on these rules, and right now, I've put myself in time out for breaking one of my own rules. That's ok. I'm still learning too.