Monday, October 27, 2008

The Family Rules :)

I've been asked to repost this older deleted post - so here it is again! Good luck! I was NOT the perfect parent, so please don't hold me to any high standard what-so-ever. I made lots of mistakes and probably still continue to make a lot of them. This worked for me. You'll have to ask my kids if it worked for them. They would be the best judge of it. I didn't add my wonderful son in law to this picture, because he didn't have to abide by these rules. It's an old picture, but we love him dearly. I hope to add a really awesome pic of him soon. Go Trav!

The administration of the rules are as follows, to ensure maximum success.One minute for each year of age of the child for each rule broken. The rules must be posted opposite where the "offender" of the rules will be sitting for time out (mine was always in the bathroom, with rules posted just opposite the toilet. (It also helped to reinforce the rules when they went potty, because it was "there" in plain sight to remind them.)Put the offender in time out (on the closed toilet). After time out is served, as them the following question:"What rule did you break?" then..."How did you break it?" then...Maybe ask (if they are older) ...."what can you do differently next time?"Then the most important question "Why do we have these family rules?"Their answer must be WORD FOR WORD correct and with good attitude "Because you love me and want me to be happy". I answer "yes, that's right (I also hug them at that point) ....because I love you, and want you to be happy.Sometimes I would add.... "and Heavenly Father gives us rules, because he wants us to be happy too."Ok - here are the rules. (very important...... #7 is an automatic double time out - ALWAYS)
1. We respect ourselves.
2. We respect our parents and others.
3. We respect property.
4. We do not manipulate.
5. We supervise ourselves and clean up our own messes.
6. We follow directions.
7. We are always honest.
8. We ask permission before doing things.
9. We do our jobs.
10. We have good dress and grooming habits.
11. We have a good attitude.
12. We go to bed on time and happily.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

thanks again!!!! you're the best!

Kat said...

Totally got the golashes at Target online. They have over 30 pairs to choose from and they are all under 25 dollars. They're cute, huh?

Diana Sims said...

Hello, Linda!
I actually got an email with your blogspot on it quite awhile ago. Must be in your contact list or something. I've enjoyed reading your blog. You're a much better writer than I will ever be. As for us being neighbors in the past - it's all good. I think we all have been through our own trials and I've struggled with being withdrawn when the going got tough. Oh, well....tell all your family hello and send our love! If any of you are ever this way, you've got a place to stay! :) Take Care!!